Stars 4 All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WANTING HELP WITH MY STOCK HORSE ARAB.....

4 posters

Go down

WANTING HELP WITH MY STOCK HORSE ARAB..... Empty WANTING HELP WITH MY STOCK HORSE ARAB.....

Post by BUNDYBOYZ Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:44 pm

HI TO ALL JUST WANTING TO KNOW IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME... I HAVE AN 11 YR OLD SH/ARAB GELDING THATS BEEN ON A STATION MOST OF HIS LIFE AND WHEN I GO TO GET ON HIM HE SPINS AND REFUSES TO STAND STILL... THIS HAS GOT PROGRESSIVELY WORSE SINCE WE HAVE HAD HIMM... ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO STOP THIS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.... THANX.... Smile
BUNDYBOYZ
BUNDYBOYZ

Back to top Go down

WANTING HELP WITH MY STOCK HORSE ARAB..... Empty Re: WANTING HELP WITH MY STOCK HORSE ARAB.....

Post by Leasha88 Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:59 pm

Hi there.... i used to work with a horse that did exactly the same. It is a terrible problem, especially when you are by yourself :-( We ended up doing mounting with 2 people. One holding the mare, and then myself hopping on. It was a bit touch and go at first, but she soon settled down and eventually i was able to mount her with no fuss. Join up techniques also help sometimes :-)

Hope you and your gelding work this out :-)

Leasha88

Back to top Go down

WANTING HELP WITH MY STOCK HORSE ARAB..... Empty Re: WANTING HELP WITH MY STOCK HORSE ARAB.....

Post by BUNDYBOYZ Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:45 am

thankyou for that
Razz
BUNDYBOYZ
BUNDYBOYZ

Back to top Go down

Post by HooFie Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:46 pm

More groundwork. You have let him get away with it because you failed to correct it as soon as it happened. Everytime you get on and he moves, get off, make him stand still and get on again. As soon as he moves, stop, put him back in place and try again. He will soon learn the sooner he stands still the sooner he doesn't have to keep doing it.
HooFie
HooFie

http://hoofie-online-at.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BUNDYBOYZ Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:03 am

HooFie wrote:More groundwork. You have let him get away with it because you failed to correct it as soon as it happened. Everytime you get on and he moves, get off, make him stand still and get on again. As soon as he moves, stop, put him back in place and try again. He will soon learn the sooner he stands still the sooner he doesn't have to keep doing it.
]

I have tried so much to do this and it kind of works until you push him back to the same spot and he rears up....???? Thanx for your help.. Smile
BUNDYBOYZ
BUNDYBOYZ

Back to top Go down

Post by kaluaa2770 Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:29 pm

Try lunging untacked then fully tacked for about 5mins, then see if he will be good to let you on.
my mums horse does that, as soon as he starts to move on mounting, we clip on the lunge and start again.
eventually he will get bored of going in circles and being bad and will let you on, everytime he is a good boy and allows you on him, give him a small treat, he will soon learn

kaluaa2770

Back to top Go down

Post by BUNDYBOYZ Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:04 pm

kaluaa2770 wrote:Try lunging untacked then fully tacked for about 5mins, then see if he will be good to let you on.
my mums horse does that, as soon as he starts to move on mounting, we clip on the lunge and start again.
eventually he will get bored of going in circles and being bad and will let you on, everytime he is a good boy and allows you on him, give him a small treat, he will soon learn

thanx for your help.... will try that... Very Happy
BUNDYBOYZ
BUNDYBOYZ

Back to top Go down

Post by HooFie Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:17 pm

Sounds like your horse has it all over you.
HooFie
HooFie

Back to top Go down

Post by kaluaa2770 Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:25 pm

alot of people have troubles with their horses and moving wile mounting, even putting them in cornirs help, or some were they cant turn, like inbetween 2 low jumps, just make sure you dont go anywere you, or your horse can trip, with rearing tho, a martingale sometimes helps, but not always, i used to rise a pony nutorus for rearing and he broke a fair few martingales, if he is doing it wile your on the ground.
if you dont have a martingale, a peice of bailing twine looped thru the ring on your breastplate and through the bit will work, tho, thats just the cheapo way out, lol

kaluaa2770

Back to top Go down

Post by HooFie Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:11 pm

A martingale will not stop your horse from rearing, that's the stupidest idea i've ever heard, if anything will probably make the problem worse.
HooFie
HooFie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down